The hemorrhoidal emergency is not a vital emergency but it is very annoying and can worry. What are hemorrhoids? When is it an emergency? What are the different treatments for hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are dilated veins that form in the anus or rectum, much like varicose veins. There are two types of hemorrhoids: external hemorrhoids that appear under the skin at the opening of the anus and internal hemorrhoids that form in the anus or lower part of the rectum.
Most often the symptoms are not acute or in any case, do not fall under the urgency. It is rather:
- Burns, itching or discomfort in the anal area.
- bleeding (visible only on the toilet paper for example) and pain when going to the saddle.
- mucus seeping through the anus.
- feeling that the inside of the anus is swollen, or even out of the anus of hemorrhoids in the form of sensitive protuberances.
See more: Can babies get hemorrhoids
When hemorrhoids become an emergency
Sometimes hemorrhoids become an emergency, mostly because of the pain. It can happen in 15% of the hemorrhoids that they thrombose and do very badly. This represents less than half of the causes of anal pain. One should not speak of thrombosis, the term is unsuitable because it is rather the rupture of a superficial vein of the hemorrhoidal plexuses which leads to the constitution of a hematoma under tension. We should therefore rather speak of a “hemorrhoidal hematoma”.
Some triggers are classically described: meals that are too rich or too spicy, episodes of the genital life, taking medication, thrusting efforts. Their symptomatology differs according to their location on the external or internal hemorrhoidal plexuses. External hemorrhoidal thrombosis is manifested by the sudden onset of pain and tumefaction of the anal margin.
Internal thrombosis can remain inside the rectal canal (we speak of non-externalized intraductal thrombosis) or externalize. In both cases, the urgency is related to the pain either inside (which can make suspect a fissure or an abscess), or outside with a real “hemorrhoidal strangulation”, with veins that can no longer be spontaneously reintegrated into the anal canal due to concomitant sphincter hypertonicity. There is sometimes also blood (rectorragie).
You can go to protect emergencies or otherwise to emergencies. The treatment of external hemorrhoidal thrombosis is excision after local anesthesia: a scalpel shot to release the hematoma under tension.
For internal hemorrhoids, a “surgical” gesture is possible but more complicated to access (under anoscopy). Necessary in case of failure of medical treatment.
We recommend reading the article: Hemorrhoid and anal sex! The dangers in relation!
Any anal bleeding should have the first visit to confirm the diagnosis and eliminate other causes. In particular, it will take at one time or another to do a colonoscopy to see the entire colon.
Hygienic and dietary rules help to limit seizures:
- Limit trigger factors such as constipation, prolonged sitting in the toilet, stress or physical exertion;
- avoid spices, alcohol, coffee, high-fat meals;
- regulate your intestinal transit (fibers, mucilages): consumption of raw green vegetables, fruits, salads, wholemeal bread, cereals;
- avoid anal friction;
- Regular physical exercise is recommended.
In case of a crisis, ask your pharmacist for advice with oral treatment (venetotonic treatment), painkillers and local treatment (in the form of an ointment, cream or suppository) are indicated, including topical with or without local anesthetics. In case of itching, apply cold compresses on the anus for about ten minutes, three or four times a day.
In case of persistence of pain, consult for a medical prescription: nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are effective, as well as topicals with cortisone or laxatives with dietary fiber or mucilage.
All our contents to not let hemorrhoids make you live hard:
- All our solutions to overcome this disorder in our factsheet: Relieve hemorrhoids.
- Your hemorrhoids are a side effect of a happy event? See Hemorrhoid No More Reviews! ” A simple and safe method to cure hemorrhoids in 48 hours “